What is the approximate cost per 1 hour of raw
film shot by a video production company?
Labor costs dominate these cost calculations
and source format runs a close second. Make
a production in NYC or LA or any other union
2. How do you start a film production company?
Prior to investing your time, money
& effort into a business name, it is strongly
advised that comprehensive research be conducted
to ensure that the name you're interested in
is truly available.
3. How can I send my script to any film production
Most major studios and TV channels
all have a website and I imagine you can do
it from there, just look them up on a search
engine. But I wouldn't bother sending them a
script, it will just get tossed...
4. Location fee: How much can I charge a film
crew to use my house per day
It depends on whether it will be hours or days,
and how much disruption will be caused. E.g.
£500 - £1000 per day or £50
- £100 per hour. If they require your
5. How can I obtain the film rights to a book?
Especially if the publisher doesn't answer my
You would need to research who currently holds
any copyrights. It may be the family or the
original publisher or the copyright may have
been allowed to lapse...
6. In every movie, at the beginning I see 4
or 5 productions, ABC films, XYZ films, etc.
Why are there so many? So those are
not production companies, but rather distribution
companies. Do they deserve their names along
with the actual producers, I'm just curious.
7. Where can I send screenplays?
You can try taking it to a production
company, or you could mail it to a producer.
8. What job should I try and take up? I'm a
communication studies major, just out of school?
You are just starting out. Begin at a small
local station or small company,
and try everything.
9. What is the process in which books are "optioned"
to be made into films?
"Optioned" by studios, production
companies, and /or performers... I understand
the concept "optioning" - meaning
that the option to make a film adaptation..
10. Does anybody like independent movies, more
then big budget Hollywood movies?
Some of my favorite films of all time are indie
films Clerks being one of them but my favorite
film is "Fear and Loathing in las Vegas"
a huge hollywood film...
11. What digital cameras are good for new filmmakers
and which PC's are best for digital editing?
Adobe Production Studio for post production
but I need to get a new computer...
12. Are film cameras (i.e. Nikon, Canon etc.)
production going to be phased out and vanish
from the market?
Film camera's will continue to survive as a
niche market. Nikon has already stopped making
all film models except the F6 and one entry
13. What's the best handheld digital camcorder
to shoot a short, small-time movie with?
Preferably UNDER $1000* I really want to get
into film production and I figured I would test